Welcome to the Audiology Department at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates. Our team treats patients with hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing, noises in the ear), vertigo, ear infections, speech/language delay, as well as other hearing-related issues.
Patients have access to Audiology services at our Cambridge, Chelmsford, Kenmore, Medford, Quincy, and Wellesley locations. For contact information, click on "Locations" on the left.
Did you know . . .
- Approximately 36 million Americans suffer from hearing loss.
- More than half of the people with hearing loss are younger than age 65.
- Untreated hearing loss can affect your ability to understand speech and can negatively impact your social and emotional well-being.
- Hearing loss is the third most common health problem in the United States.
~ American Academy of Audiology
Hearing loss can affect relationships, school performance, job productivity, and emotional well-being. Hearing loss can occur gradually or it may happen suddenly. Common causes include exposure to loud noises, allergies, ear infections, reactions to medications and injury, as well as normal age-related deterioration of hearing or genetic conditions. Hearing loss can often be easily diagnosed and treated.
Common symptoms include:
- Muffled hearing
- Difficulty understanding what people are saying, especially when there are competing voices or background noise
- Listening to the television or radio at a higher volume than in the past
- Avoiding conversation and social interaction
- Ringing, roaring, hissing, or buzzing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Vertigo, an uncomfortable feeling of motion when there is no actual movement
The Audiology Department at Harvard Vanguard works closely with the Speech and Language Therapy and Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) departments.